Thursday, June 03, 2021

Of roses and seaweed

 #fridaysforfuture with June rose journal 2021 🌹💐🌹🥀💐!!

I like to take pictures because time is so short with these guys. I can't take credit for planting them, but I sure love them!

This year I'm trying kelp fertilizer. Seaweed is a climate superhero--it sequesters carbon, helps restore habitat and jobs in polluted/overfished seas, is cheap to grow and maintain, and is an organic food/fertilizer source. You can make bioplastic from it and cows who have it added to their food burp less methane! Also, Clara loves to eat it...like, a lot of it.

My own little study of kelp fertilizer (mixed with humic acid) in my yard is promising. Some plants look about the same, but others are making more flowers and growing more than they ever have with my old (possibly petroleum-based?) fertilizer.

(Meanwhile, though, I haven't done ANYTHING to my Sleeping Beauty's Castle on the side of my house and it is becoming a briar rose/dogwood THICKET. That's the same every year, though, haha. I need to get on top of it next year. Pretty though!)

So eat your sea vegetables! It's good for you! And if not, pour some on your garden. It's good for that, too.








Sources:
 
https://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/flash/2019/how-kelp-naturally-combats-global-climate-change/

This podcast is so good: 

No comments: