Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Holy jumping watermelon, Batman!: A play in three acts

Act I:
So, sometimes PDaniel makes some colorful exclamations when Dangerboy runs into him at full speed. If you're a dad of young children, or you're close to one, you know what I mean. I think hearing these, coupled with waaaay too much SpongeBob, have resulted in what I've been hearing lately, when Cookie-Nut runs into DB:

"Mom, she hit me in the barnacles!!!"

When asked where his barnacles are, it's different every time.

Act II:
DB: Ahhh! (giggling) Don't tickle me in the neboes!

Me: What?? Where are your neboes?

DB: (points to his armpits)

Me: 'Neboes?!' Where in the world did you get 'neboes'?

DB: (Proud that he knows the answer to this no-brainier) "From Jesus!"

Act III:
(Dangerboy's watermelon slides off his plate and onto the floor).

Me: Hey! You need to be careful when you're carrying watermelon. We don't want it on the carpet!

DB: But mom! It just jumped out!

Me: The watermelon jumped? I don't think so. Does watermelon jump?

DB: Sometimes it jumps.

Me: Hmmm. I don't think so.

(Pause. Thinking).

DB: Mom, I think I'm right. Watermelon jumps sometimes.

2 comments:

WLM said...

Come on, Mom, watermelon always jumps, especially when it is on a flat slick plate! At least it did when you were little.

Autumn said...

This was adorable, Christi. I especially admire the thought that goes into all DB decides to say before he says it. That is rare for a fellow his age, and it tickles me each time you tell me he pauses to deliberate the facts. What a doll!