Sunday, January 22, 2012

"Life is Hard."

Oh, yes, it snowed the other day and the kids finally got to use their sleds, which Grandma got them, and which they didn’t know they owned. DB said, “I’m so happy, I don’t know what to say!” And promptly wrote a thank-you note. They spent much of the morning sliding down the hill in our yard with their friends.

CN had a hard time in Primary today. It’s a hard transition for a three-year-old. For some it’s harder than for others! She kept rolling around on the floor and yelling with the music director didn’t pick her to help lead the music. Or when she WAS chosen, yelling because she didn’t want to do what the director wanted her to.

DangerBoy’s parent-teacher conference was this week. He is doing well, at least well enough for his teacher. She says he is reading above grade level, that he is a peacemaker and a good friend, and that his handwriting needs work. That’s our boy!

We took poor DB to the dentist Tuesday to get his tooth inspected. He'd been running a fever over the long weekend and complaining about a tooth. I wanted to make sure they weren't related. But it turns out it was infected and he had to have it pulled right then and there! Poor kid. It was a molar too, and a new one won’t grow in for a few years. Not only that, but everyone in the office was shaking their heads at his x-rays. Apparently, he’s going to need plenty of orthodontic work. The nurse actually said it looks like his two front teeth are going to come in growing straight out! Heaven forbid. My beautiful little boy.

He was pretty brave, though he had to have some laughing gas after the last shot. He didn’t cry until then. And then he didn’t get completely numb (the nurse said it’s hard when there’s an infection, though I’m not sure I believe her), so he felt it coming out, at least somewhat. He didn’t know what they were doing, only that it hurt, so I think he was shocked when they showed it to him at the end. Traumatic thing for a kid. He wept most of the way home, though he mostly stopped in Walmart, where we stopped to buy him a toy.

Yesterday was my first student recital here at BYU, I played for Briana, a grad student in oboe. The music was hard, so I was proud of my/our efforts and invited family. Mom and Dad came down, Shaun and John Bonner showed up, and we got a sitter so Peter could go. I was nervous about how my arm would do, since it’s been giving me some nerve trouble. I was also worried about Performance anxiety, which has reared its ugly head in the past. But neither was problematic, and while the performance wasn’t perfect, I was honestly pleased with it.

Cutenesses:

On Friday this week, DB and CN was sitting at the breakfast table. CN was eating a leftover cheeseburger for breakfast, and DB had his forehead on the table and was moaning tiredly that he didn’t know what he wanted for breakfast. CN looked up from her hamburger at him and said sagely, “Life is hard.”

Last night when I was putting her to bed, she said, “I like your earrings. I like your hair. You’re so cute! And I love my room, and I love my whole world! Jesus gave me all these things!”

Cookie-Nut (putting on a not-new pink shirt): “It’s a new shirt! The shirt fairy brought be a new shirt!” (What’s the shirt fairy’s name?) “Her name is Porch. Sometimes I don’t like her. But, she has yellow hair.”

5 comments:

aunt choody said...

I wish that Cookie Nut was in our Sunbeam class. And that we could be neighbors. I guess that means that we will have to come and visit instead. Not so bad.

shaunie said...

Congratulations on the recital! I'm sorry to hear about the nerve trouble, I've been having some carpal tunnel problems of my own, although a change in piano exercises seems to have cleared it up for now.

Evelyn has to work on her hand-writing as well. Hopefully Caleb can stave off infected teeth for while. Ouch.

Anonymous said...

I agree with CN and so wise for such a young one! I hope DB doesn't have to have too much repair work. Congratulations with the recital. Thanks for posting, we love it! Lemans

Esther said...

It is fun to hear how you guys are doing. We really miss you! Whenever the kids watched BYU football with us they would wave to CN and DB. Good luck with everything!

ShalottLady said...

Aunt Choody: Aww, I wish you were going to be our neighbors too. Maybe in a year or two?

Shaunie, thanks! Good to hear you're still practicing! :)

Grandma R, thanks to you too!

Esther, just last night in bed CN told me she missed Little B.

You should all come come visit!